The Open Screen Film Festival will be at 7PM on December 2nd at FilmScene at the Chauncey. ALL submissions are due November 20th by 11:59PM.
- All films must be no longer than 10 minutes; anything over 10 minutes will automatically not be considered
- Filmmakers can select a ten-minute clip from a feature film to submit if they so chose; these must either be the submitter's own work or the submitter must obtain written permission from the artist, evidence of which must be shown to the selection committee
- Filmmakers can submit works to the Open Screen committee via a Vimeo link or YouTube link
- Music videos, documentaries, and experimental or avant-garde work are acceptable
- No work may be submitted that has a distributor or a professional production company
- Open to non-students
The selection committee reserves final right to decide which submissions are chosen for inclusion. The audience will vote at the end of the night of the event for the top three submissions, which will win individual prizes.
Policy regarding objectionable material:
The University of Iowa’s Bijou Film Board acknowledges that creative expression through film imagery and/or language may include controversial or sensitive subject matter. All submissions to the Bijou Film Board for the Open Screen series that includes material the committee deems offensive, will be reviewed solely on the basis of the piece’s artistic and educational merit. Open Screen recognizes that the use of such purported offensive materials might be necessary to understanding the film’s subject matter. Thus, if members of Open Screen committee determine that the exclusion of offensive material would otherwise diminish or mislead the overall meaning and quality of the submission, then Bijou members may accept the submission and provide appropriate notice or warning to the general audience.
Providing adequate and reasonable advance notice to viewers of the nature of the submission (presentation), or portions thereof, which are deemed to be offensive to a substantial number of people, using contemporary community norms, or is legally obscene for minors, but not for adults, under the standards set forth in Iowa Code Chapter 728 will be determined at the sole discretion of the Bijou.
The selection committee reserves final right to decide which submissions are chosen for inclusion. Absolutely no material that is blatantly racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, transphobic, misogynistic, etc., without any kind of redeeming educational or social value, will be considered by the Open Screen committee. The purpose of this screening is to cultivate community, foster burgeoning filmmakers' careers, and promote inclusion. Audiences will vote at the end of the night for the best submission.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa-sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact FilmScene in advance FilmScene Box Office at (319) 358-2555 or email@example.com.